If you’re in the target area time to get ready. If you’re not in the target area this will still be helpful. Here’s the link to the Storm Prediction Center where you can determine if you are in the target area. Take a look. https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/
You can always check it out. A few minutes every day wouldn’t hurt.Then you’ll have a good idea of what’s up for YOUR neck of the woods. Be WEATHER AWARE. Beats getting caught off guard doesn’t it?
I’m going to write out the steps again for dealing with tornadoes
- BE WEATHER AWARE OR BECOME WEATHER AWARE
- HAVE A PLAN
- DECIDE ON YOUR SAFE SPOT NOW
- HAVE A WAY TO GET ALERTS ESPECIALLY FOR NIGHT TORNADOES
- STAY OUT OF A MOBILE HOME OR CAR DURING THE EVENT. Make arrangements ahead of time.Know where you are going to shelter and get there asap.
- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EVERYTHING CHARGED UP FOR ALL THE DEVICES YOU ARE GOING TO USE! A flashlight with dead batteries has no use. A dead cell phone has no use either.
- DON’T BE SCARED, BE PREPARED
Your safe space should have as many sound walls between you and tornadic activity as possible. Stay away from windows. Have a flashlight and cell phone handy. i highly recommend having a NOAA weather radio. Got helmets? Great. Use them. If not, a mattress for cover would help. Anything providing cover from debris helps. We keep a first aid kit handy here. It’s always in our safe space; which is the basement. The best spot for safety is the lowest level of your home or apartment and a basement,short of a shelter,is the lowest level.
A watch means keep an eye out. Monitor your weather. Have the weather radio on. If you’ve waited till the watch and haven’t abandoned your car or mobile home it’s still not too late.
A warning means danger,danger. Someone has spotted a torando or it’s showing up on radar aka radar indicated. It doesn’t matter how they found it-it’s out there.
Most towns/cities have a siren that goes off. It means that the tornado has been spotted and the situation is dangerous Get to the safe space immediately if you’re not there already! Come out when authorities tell you it is safe.
Got any questions, shoot. if i don’t have an answer will try to get one for you.Feel free to share comments too especially if i’ve missed something. Let me know.