We’ll start with the good news. Like most good news stories there usually isn’t as much to say as there is to say about the not so good.We have to start with the good news anyway so we have something to make a comparison with.
There are 2 people on you tube who do a fantastic job of forecasting weather for the United States and live stream during severe events. They are Ryan Hall and Nate Snyder. Hall goes by the name Ryan Hall Y a’ll and Nate Snyder goes by the name N8 Snyder sometimes Hockey Boy on other platforms.
Here are their most recent forecasts.
The good news is not the weather. When i go to the char the good news is how many people i see that are weather aware. Some of the people are weather nerds, like me. Other people are there because they live in the affected areas or have family that does. The technology to track these tornado outbreaks greatly improved over the years. Yes, it still has a long ways to go but when you consider where it came from in the past it has saved many lives.
That said, here’s the not so good news. For as many people who are weather aware there are just too many people who still aren’t. They get caught unaware and there’s just no reason to.Keep in mind that the only place on the planet that can never get a torando is the antarctic. Don’t live there,right? You can’t say never. Well, you could but it’s not going to matter much when it happens.
A tornado can happen anytime,anywhere given the right conditions.
Again, i repeat DON’T BE SCARED, BE PREPARED. I can’t say this enough; BECOME WEATHER AWARE and HAVE A PLAN.
I’m not a person who’s concerned about climate change. What concerns me is what affects each of us and that’s weather change. One variable can change a whole outcome, They can only predict so far out.
You’re going to tell me they have all the answers about climate change when you’re looking at billions of years? Nope. Not happening folks. I’d worry more about the tornado that could be coming down your street than an event that happened eons ago and another that might happen eons from now. I remember the warning about an ice age that was on the way. Never came.
Again, become weather aware and that doesn’t mean looking out your window. Be prepared-have a plan. If you don’t know what to do, find out. When you have the plan in place it’s going to save you panic if the time comes you need one. More often than not a tornado only gives you minutes and in some instances seconds. It can mean your survival.
Here’s the basics:
- Be weather aware
- pick your safe space. Put as many walls between you and the tornadic activity outside as possible
- do not be in a vehicle or mobile home(trailer) make arrangements ahead of time to get to a safe place; a sturdy shelter. A vehicle or mobile home are not safe. PERIOD
- have a way to get warnings especially at night. Nocturnal tornadoes are the most dangerous. Rain wrapped tornadoes are also dangerous for the same reason tornadoes in the dark are, you can’t see them. If they’re rain wrapped and happen at night that’s a double whammy.
- have helmets? use them. it’s good to have some way to shield yourself from debris.
- stay away from windows
- Have a flashlight (or 2)handy with charged batteries. You’re probably going to have a power outage. No lights.
- i consider a weather radio an essential. I have an inexpensive Midland and it does the job. Get one with a cord AND battery backup both. If your electric goes out-it’s likely it will-a cord does you no good. Batteries do. Make sure you have them installed. Let’s not be stumbling around in the dark.
If you have the funds and available space you could have a storm shelter, even indoors.
This one called the Extreme is probably one of the best i’ve ever seen.
Information from FEMA https://www.fema.gov/emergency-managers/risk-management/safe-rooms
Great for keeping ahead of the weather, the SPC Convection Reports. Check from day to day. The forecast can change. https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/
TORNADO WATCH 👀 :
keep an eye peeled. “Pay close attention to weather reports. Have your plan in place so you’re ready in case you get the warning. Turn that weather radio on!!!!
TORNADO WARNING 🌪️🌪️🌪️ :
if your area has sirens they are probably going off . There is either a radar indicated tornado or it’s spotter observed and reported . Either way, it’s a tornado, get in your safe space immediately. ‘it’s on the ground and moving or imminent.