Now that i’ve spent Christmas quietly alone as my husband is spending his Christmas in the noise of a facility wishing he were home I’ve done nothing but obsess all day about questions that are nagging me. Questions i have to ask his doctor.
They were never sufficiently answered so here we go. I ask them in all seriousness.
Of course question 1 is how is G-y doing? Specifically is the infection clearing up? Is it responding to the antibiotics? They typically give Penicillin plus another antibiotic but he’s allergic to Penicillin. Is he at a disadvantage?
Has anyone figured out when he had the stroke? I’m assuming they had been doing imaging right along and might be able to make a best guess.
I am convinced he had the stroke early on at the first hospital. There were signs then.
He had more signs after being admitted to the 3rd hospital. He went from one hospital to the next in a few days. Was the stroke caused by vegetation breaking off or did other factors cause it(ie high blood pressure)? G-y had done less than 2 weeks of antibiotic by IV when they usually do 4-6 if not longer. Why was the Dr so anxious to do open heart surgery when the antibiotic treatment wasn’t even finished?
This leads to my next question: was the mitral valve already destroyed before the endocarditis and is that why the vegetation attacked it? The way the Dr at hospital 3 explained it to me was that the vegetation had destroyed the valve. The literature on endocarditis reads that the vegetation will attack an already bad mitral valve.
Here’s what i really don’t understand;if the antibiotic is supposed to clear up the infection why wouldn’t the antibiotic clear up the infection on the heart which is what they seem to be aiming for now? Why would the open heart be necessary except to replace the valve? Why wouldn’t the Dr prefer to do a minimally invasive surgery to replace the valve if that were the case UNLESS the antibiotic didn’t clear up the heart?
Confused. Was the endocarditis caused by the cellulitis? He also had sepsis.How is that related to endocarditis?
He had mild cellulitis in the past. Why didn’t he get endocarditis then?
I’ve read 3 different opinions on performing this surgery after a stroke. The one says it’s better to postpone the surgery. Another says it’s better to get it done quickly. The third says it makes no difference either way.
So which is the right choice?
I have a follow up to the question: G-y was already in a high risk group when the Dr first recommended the open heart surgery. Wouldn’t the stroke put him at higher risk and what would that risk actually be?
Why didn’t this Dr want to wait until the antibiotic treatment was done?
Why wouldn’t minimally invasive surgery work to replace the mitral valve in his case?
I also want to know since G-y has already had this once is he going to be at risk of getting it again?
G-y mentioned to me they were going to try a more potent antibiotic that would cut the treatment time in half. Nobody mentioned it to me. I have to ask the Dr about it tomorrow. If G-y heard this correctly it would be great news!
The mitral valve has to be replaced(maybe repaired depending on what the cardiac surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic concludes)regardless. I still have more reports to get for the surgeon before he can do the review. I take it the more information he has the better and that includes all the imaging they did.
The more information i get,the more questions come to mind.
Has anyone out there had any experience with the condition? What can you tell me that might be helpful?
We’re holding off on a visit because the discharge might be imminent. It’s difficult enough now to get transportation.We’d rather i saved it for the day of his discharge than go through all the craziness to get a ride before then.
We’re going to celebrate Christmas a tad late this year but according to our Catholic observance of Christmas it isn’t over until the Feast of the Epiphany on Jan 3rd anyway. Lucky us!